Manufacturing Consensus

The economy, the stock market, gas prices, personal credit, taxes, there's a sale at Penney's!

Manufacturing Consensus

Postby Joe Liberty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Another one from Reason.com, so look away if ye are afraid of a libertarian perspective.

http://reason.com/archives/2011/12/12/m ... -consensus

The Aspen Institute, an international public policy nonprofit founded in 1950, describes itself as a “convener.” Rather than push for a specific ideological agenda, the organization brings together elite politicians and journalists in a “neutral and balanced venue for discussing and acting on critical issues.”

So it was with keen interest that I received an invitation to attend an October 27 Aspen Institute confab in D.C. on “The Role of Government in the Economy.” Libertarians, after all, tend to hold the view that the greater the role of government, the worse the economy. Of even keener interest was the lineup: on the left, recently departed chief economist for Vice President Joe Biden Jared Bernstein; on the right, former Bush administration Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation executive director Bradley Belt, and moderating between them the New York Times’ Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington bureau chief and former economics columnist David Leonhardt. Surely there would be some wide-ranging disagreement on the federal government’s role in precipitating and exacerbating the economic malaise of the past four years.

No such luck. In his introductory remarks, moderator Leonhardt laid out as a factual starting point the government’s “extraordinary and largely successful moves to spare us from another Great Depression.” Bernstein went on to decry the “irrational fear of budget deficits at a time when the budget deficit really should be very large.” And Belt repeatedly declined to enumerate a specific appropriate size and scope of government. So much for the debate.

Even more interesting than the soft consensus in favor of government intervention was a strong undercurrent that those who disagreed with it were guilty of denying basic truths.

“I feel like we’re in a climate in which facts just aren’t welcome,” [Bernstein] said. “I think the facts of the case are that we know what we can do to nudge the unemployment rate down.…I think the consensus among economists is that this is a good time to implement fiscal stimulus that would help create jobs and make the unemployment rate go down. I consider that a fact.”

In science, you insist most loudly on a fact based on how much it has withstood independent peer review. In politics, it’s closer to the opposite—the more debatable a point is, the more it becomes necessary to insist (often in the face of contrary evidence) that the conclusion is backed by scientific consensus.

President Barack Obama is a serial peddler of phony consensi. To sell his 2009 stimulus package, the president claimed, falsely, that “there is no disagreement that we need action by our government, a recovery plan that will help to jump-start the economy.” (The libertarian Cato Institute quickly assembled a list of 200 prominent economists who signed a statement begging to differ.)

In a political universe where “green jobs” fantasia leads to predictable wastes of taxpayer money (see Tim Cavanaugh’s “I, Panel,” page 70), where the worst kind of hysteria and cowardice governs the scientific classifications of disfavored substances (see Christopher Snowdon’s “Modern-Day Prohibition,” page 60), and where the pernicious practice of baseline budgeting builds spending increases into government budgets while leading to phony-baloney claims of “cuts” (see Veronique de Rugy’s “The Never-Ending Budget Battle,” page 21), it’s tempting to replace one set of prematurely asserted facts with another.

It’s a temptation that should be resisted. David Leonhardt may be wrong about the Troubled Assets Relief Program preventing another Great Depression, but we don’t really know what would have happened if we had let deserving financial institutions fail in the fall of 2008. I believe we would have experienced sharper pain up front but a quicker recovery at the end, but this is not the kind of thing you can easily prove.

What you can do is measure government intervention against the claims made while selling it, marshal as much historical data as you can find, and try to fact-check policy discussion as it happens. This is where the elite faux-consensus in favor of bailout economics begins to unravel.

We are told by New York Times columnist Paul Krugman and his friends in The Nation that the country is being ruled by a ruthless “austerity class,” yet federal spending has continued to increase even after the summer’s debt-ceiling agreement. The Occupy Wall Street movement and the (mostly Democratic) politicians who support it have shifted the national conversation to the “fact” that the middle class is worse off than it was three decades ago, yet as University of Chicago economist Bruce Meyer and Notre Dame economist James Sullivan found in a recent paper, “median income and consumption both rose by more than 50 percent in real terms between 1980 and 2009.”

We are entitled to facts, yes. Just not theirs.
"The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, "See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk". – Harry Browne
Joe Liberty
twin lakes
twin lakes

Have thanks: 55 times

Re: Manufacturing Consensus

Postby Lady Gag Gag » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Anything short of tubgirl is fair game.

Fuck all y'all
Lady Gag Gag
leonard springs nature
leonard springs nature

Have thanks: 793 times

Postby Joe Liberty » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Yep, you're okay, Laffy, the problem is with everybody else.

:ST:
"The government is good at one thing. It knows how to break your legs, and then hand you a crutch and say, "See if it weren't for the government, you wouldn't be able to walk". – Harry Browne
Joe Liberty
twin lakes
twin lakes

Postby dd » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 pm

LaffyLives wrote:Now that's priceless.

I'm scolded for "not playing nice" and yet joey throws out his "if you're afraid" baloney.

So......what is allowed and what isn't as far as "being civil"?

'Waaahhhh - they were meeeeean to me! Why aren't they mean to joey?!?!?!'

So much for you not shitting in every thread, huh?

(thanks, Curm!)
"A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of." Nelson Mandela
dd
Leprechaun Catcher

Have thanks: 646 times

Postby Lady Gag Gag » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:51 pm

LaffyLives wrote:
What is tubgirl?

Put it in google and hit the I feel lucky button.
Fuck all y'all
Lady Gag Gag
leonard springs nature
leonard springs nature

Postby dd » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Like I said, 'thanks, Curm!'

smh...
"A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of." Nelson Mandela
dd
Leprechaun Catcher

Have thanks: 646 times

Postby Lady Gag Gag » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

LaffyLives wrote:
Lady Gag Gag wrote:
LaffyLives wrote:
What is tubgirl?

Wait a second.

I thought the rules of the board was, "We're all too busy to click on a link so you need to cut and paste everything for us" and now you're telling me I have to go Google stuff for myself?

Damn....you guys change your mind more than a chick does trying to decide to wear before going out for the night.

I can PM you a pic if you like.
Fuck all y'all
Lady Gag Gag
leonard springs nature
leonard springs nature

Postby Lady Gag Gag » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:02 pm

LaffyLives wrote:
Unless it's really gross.....which it must be if you can't put it up here.

You do know the main rule of the interwebs don't you?

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Tubgirl will make you want to bleach your eyes.
Fuck all y'all
Lady Gag Gag
leonard springs nature
leonard springs nature

Postby Joe Liberty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 am

Lady Gag Gag wrote:Tubgirl will make you want to bleach your eyes.

That would be awesome, then he couldn't see to type.
Joe Liberty
twin lakes
twin lakes

Postby Father Wrath » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

Don't we have a tubgirl smiley?

EDIT: I guess not . . . I could have sworn we did at one time.
Father Wrath
Don't look back in anger

Have thanks: 494 times

Postby Curmudgeon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 am

Oh, I've seen tubgirl, never watched 2-girls 1-cup though...and have no intention to...
-----
Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future. -John F. Kennedy
Curmudgeon
I'm the mean moderator

Have thanks: 916 times

Postby Joe Liberty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:07 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Oh, I've seen tubgirl, never watched 2-girls 1-cup though...and have no intention to...

You do not want to, trust me. You really can't unsee things. :shock:

Although there are some funny clips out there showing peoples' reactions while watching it. I've even seen one of Stewie and Brian from Family Guy.
Joe Liberty
twin lakes
twin lakes

Postby InglewoodJack » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 pm

Lady Gag Gag wrote:
LaffyLives wrote:
What is tubgirl?

Oh, I really, really wish I hadn't. Apparently one week in the Philippines in 1985 didn't make me as worldly as I thought it did. [Gag] [Wretch]
"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I'm persecuted whenever I am contradicted" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
InglewoodJack
schmalz farm
schmalz farm

Have thanks: 241 times

Postby coltsfan1955 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Joe Liberty wrote:Yep, you're okay, Laffy, the problem is with everybody else.

Why do libertarians reject the Kochtopus of Reason .com?
coltsfan1955
Entrenched

Have thanks: 155 times

Postby imzhammer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 pm

LaffyLives wrote:
Lady Gag Gag wrote:Anything short of tubgirl is fair game.

What is tubgirl?

I just have to laugh that many of the regulars on here cry about "being civil" if you aren't nice to THEM yet have NO PROBLEM flaming others.

No wonder joey likes them so much. He's EXACTLY the same.

Uh-oh, are you going to have an episode?
imzhammer
leonard springs nature
leonard springs nature

Have thanks: 275 times

Next

Return to Money